What is a Joey Fun Day?
A Joey Fun Day is a day that you come with your leaders to enjoy what Brownsea has to offer Joeys. You will also pick up some skills along the way that you can work with your leaders to sign off as badgework.
Activities are subject to change depending on the staff we have on the day. These are examples of typical Joey Fun Day activities
|Pirate Ship||Pirate boat ride |
Walk the plank Swim 10 metres (OAS Boating S1 + Paddling S1)
Float for 2mins
|Land Activities||Creating sailing boats|
|Rafting + Power boat||Rafting Learn forward and backward strokes Paddling on the raft |
Powerboat 20min powerboat rides in small groups
|Canoeing||Learn parts of the canoe 30-40min canoe trip|
|Ramble||Walk from Brownsea to Baxter’s Jetty Walk|
For your Safety
- We expect that you and your youth member will be wearing closed in shoes as this is a Scouting Activity. There are many hazards on and off the water we need to manage.
- You will need to be sunsafe, broad brim hat with a strap to tie it on, sunscreen and long shorts/ long sleeves. Tops of legs get easily get burnt in canoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to bring Link
- If you are a Joey or Cub, your leader with your permission form with health and emergency contact details
- If you are a Scout or Venturer either
- your leader with your permission form with health and emergency contact details
- if your leader is not present, the person making the booking ensures this form is completed. https://groups.operoo.com/public_forms/807450/new
- or we will issue you with an invite to join our Operoo instance with a specific permission form for the activity
- Clothes that can get wet/muddy
- A Broad Brim Sunsafe Hat (preferably one with a drawstring to keep on the head when windy)
- Good High SPF Sunscreen
- A drink bottle
- Enclosed shoes (that can get wet/muddy)
- Spray jacket (wind and waterproof)
- Swimming gear
- Prepacked Lunch (unless catered)
- Towels (for showering and for water activities)
- Plastic bags (for wet clothes)
- Strap for spectacles/sunglasses (string or otherwise)
- NB: denim jeans are very uncomfortable when wet so please avoid wearing these for water activities.
Badges can be purchased with the other items through our bookings
Parking for visitors is limited to the front of Brownsea.
There is more parking near the Queensland Cruising Yacht Club and at the Public Ramp.
Take care when dropping off youth members and walking on the road around our building.
Joey Fun Day
Joey days are for Joeys and their leaders. Cubs can come out on any canoe day or pirate boat and raft day.
We are looking for specialist leaders to run section specific days with us… We have a Specialist Joey Leader and these days are quickly taken up with Joeys… Doesn’t have to be a leader attached to brownsea…
We run activities all year round at Brownsea. Winter can be a more stable for weather. Less likely to have a thunderstorm.
All of the dates are in the Calendar.
Activities start at 8am and finish up at 3pm.
Start and Finish times include Safety Briefing, Getting Kitted out and wash down/ putting everything away.
Availability and Bookings